Due to the intrinsic nature of digital technologies and platforms the process of communication has fundamentally changed. The digital world has five characteristics: speed, adaptability, adjacency, scale and precision (Brinker, 2016). These five characteristics inherent to digital communication have forced the very nature of marketing to adapt, to become helpful and relevant or be ignored by Consumer 2.0 and their self-determined, fragmented markets.
Niche Blogging and Its Benefits
In her article “How to Start a Niche Blog (And Why You Should)” Julie Neidlinger makes the argument that there are two types of blogs: lifestyle or niche. Julie further elaborates the benefits of starting and maintaining a niche blog, for both the creator and the reader of niche blogs.
Julie perceives niche blogs to be superior to lifestyle blogs due to their nature, focusing upon a niche topic forces a blog to become more relevant, purposeful and sharable while increasing reader’s trust and perception of authority due the narrow their narrow scope. This effect also compounds it fulfilling reader’s expectations since they know what to expect from a content creator, helping them to be more engaged. Due to these factors, niche blogs are easier to monetize, since affiliate selling or advertising will be relevant to the topic that the blog focuses upon.
Julie also proposes that niche blogs are easier to grow and maintain for content creators since they’re focused on a single topic or theme, meaning that the content creator does not have to perpetually search for new ideas or topics but could easily comment on the latest trends or news. The focus on a niche topic also helps to deepen the content creator’s understanding of a topic, allowing for new connections and modes of thinking.
Julie also explains the steps to starting your own niche blog:
- Decide to write about one of your passions – something that you can remain engaged with and committed to creating new content regularly.
- Decide whether your niche blog will focus upon a short-term trend that may lose favour or concentrate on a topic that will endure.
- Decide whether you will monetize your niche blog and how you will do it.
- Find and research a keyword niche that will be relevant to what you want to write about.
The Mechanics of the Digital World
- Speed: communication can happen faster than ever before.
- Adaptability: content can be published or changed as quickly as it can be produced.
- Adjacency: there is no true concept of distance in the digital world, only how many clicks or keystrokes before you find what you want.
- Scale: your content can be consumed by 1 to 1,000,000,000 people.
- Precision: digital channels are the most precise when quantifying actions or targeting consumers.
Due to the digital medium’s very nature, it is essential to create purposeful, focused and valuable content that genuinely helps people as a modern marketer. Niche blogging, connected to your brand’s website is an essential facet which will decide whether your digital marketing will be relevant to your target audience and provide genuine value to them, or if it will be a situation asymmetric communication – not a sorely needed dialogue. Marketers must be: engaging, useful, relevant and focused on helping their customers by providing value.
Some resources to consider:
Brinker, S. (2016). Hacking Marketing. 1st ed. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, pp.15-23.
Neidlinger, J. (2017). How To Start A Niche Blog (And Why You Should). [online] CoSchedule Blog. Available at: https://coschedule.com/blog/start-a-niche-blog [Accessed 19 Jun. 2017].
Ryan, D. (2017). Understanding Digital Marketing. 4th ed. London: Kogan Page, pp.15-20.